In the News 7th August
Fridays News at a glance:
Your Chance To Influence E-Cig Regulations – NSW’s plan to avoid a revolt when it introduces its statewide smoking ban in prisons next week – Vapers in Power Call to Action – The #JonVoyage take on tobacco control bullshit – Are e-cigarettes a gateway into tobacco use for young people, or a potential pathway out of a dangerous addiction? – Smoking an electronic cigarette in an enclosed area is not against the law – Safety – SGS do not test E-Cigs/Vaping – Nicotine Science and Policy – Daily Digest
While the UK can only influence limited areas of the TPD, some of the changes they want to make are crucial for the survival of the UK e-cigarette industry. Given that everyone has a limited amount of time, I’ve put together a brief guide to the TPD, highlighting the most important areas to respond on…..
NSW’s plan to avoid a revolt when it introduces its statewide smoking ban in prisons next week
Violent NSW prisoners will be met with a ruthless riot squad instructed to go in ‘very quick and very hard’, when a state-wide smoking ban is imposed on Monday.
Corrective Services Commissioner Peter Severin is prepared for the worst after 300 prisoners ran riot for 15 hours at a prison in Melbourne earlier this month following the same ban, according to The Daily Telegraph.
3 ways to help vaping this week
1. Join Vapers in Power as a fully signed up member of our communities own political party. If you are attending Vapefest you can collect your membership card in person, if you can’t make it you can find details on our website: http://vapersinpower.co.uk/membershipsignup
2. Go to Vapefest, not only can you meet up with the community and get to know fellow advocates, you can visit the Vapers in Power tent where there are talks by Welsh Vapers who have met MP’s, NNA, VIRI, Simon Clark from FOREST and Dick Puddlecote.
3. If you can’t make it to Vapefest why not write down your vaping story and save it in a file. We’d like to include these on our blog (https://vapersinpower.wordpress.com/), if your happy for us to do that please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org . That’s not the point of this one though, the point is that our stories are what sway politicians the most. Unfortunately our reasoned arguments are too easily dismissed in the land of power and lobbying, where each side can cite “science” and where vague concerns carry as much weight as hard results from the real world. Having your story already written out makes it easy to send to politicians and cut and paste to comments should the need arise….
Carl V. Phillips – Anti-THR Lies
I am interrupting my ongoing serious about Why is there anti-THR? because there are a few other topics I want to cover sooner rather than later. Don’t worry, I will come back to that one (the next post is worked out, but I am not satisfied with everything).
Are e-cigarettes a gateway into tobacco use for young people, or a potential pathway out of a dangerous addiction?
While politicians were considering legislation to regulate the e-cigarette industry, I was discovering it, struggling not to relapse after three tobacco-free days. Knowing nothing about e-cigarettes, I Googled and found a nearby retail shop, where an employee explained the product, which looks nothing like a real cigarette. I chose a blueberry flavoured ‘e-juice’ with a low level of nicotine, and paid $67 total….
The Court of Magistrates (Malta) as a court of criminal judicature, in an appeal sitting deciding on decisions of local tribunals, decided that smoking an electronic cigarette inside is not illegal and revoked the decision of the Commissioner of Justice….
This is too important not to repeat. SGS are, in their own words, “the worlds leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company”. These guys look into all sorts of things and you’ll see the SGS name or logos on all sorts of products. But SGS state that they do not test vaping/electronic cigarette equipment….
Not technically Vaping but shows Simon Chapmans incompetence is not unique to E-Cigs!
The committee highlights the fact that Professor Chapman is not a qualified, registered nor experienced medical practitioner, psychiatrist, psychologist, acoustician, audiologist, physicist or engineer. Accordingly:
- he has not medically assessed a single person suffering adverse health impacts from wind turbines;
- his research work has been mainly—and perhaps solely—from an academic perspective without field studies;
- his views have been heavily criticised by several independent medical and acoustic experts in the international community; and
- many of his assertions do not withstand fact check analyses.